2012 Harvest Leader Position Description
Portland Fruit Tree Project 2012 Volunteer Opportunity:
Become a Harvest Leader!
Join the Portland Fruit Tree Project in preventing waste, building community, and making fresh fruit available to neighbors in need…
As a Harvest Leader, you will co-lead group harvesting events in your neighborhood! It’s a fun way to meet your neighbors and help make locally grown produce available to all.
Harvest Leader Overview:
Harvesting parties bring people together to harvest fruit that might otherwise go to waste, and make it available to people in need. Each harvesting party is co-led by 2 volunteer Harvest Leaders. Harvest leaders are responsible for overseeing and leading harvest participants, distributing harvested fruit, and keeping accurate harvest records. The Portland Fruit Tree Project will provide all of the necessary training, materials, and support. Each Leader is expected to co-lead at least 3 harvesting parties during the rest of the 2012 harvest season (September – November).
Harvest Leader Responsibilities:
- Meet with PFTP staff for a one-hour Harvest Leader training & orientation and then shadow 2 Harvest Leaders at one event before co-leading any events.
- Co-lead at least 3 harvesting parties in the rest of 2012 Harvest Season (September-November)
- Oversee harvest participants, coordinate logistics, and facilitate introductions, safety talk and wrap-up during harvesting parties.
- Coordinate delivery of 50% of harvested fruit to a local food pantry
- Keep thorough records and submit Harvest Reports to PFTP staff promptly.
- Complete year-end survey and report (December)
- Celebrate! Attend year-end celebration and volunteer appreciation event in December 2012 (optional).
Request an application by calling 503-284-6106, or send an email to bob[at]portlandfruit.org, with ‘Harvest Leader Application Request' in the subject line.
We'll send you an application right away. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis but we're hoping to get new Leaders started in early September.