Harvest Program Intern (Spring/Summer 2017)
Thank you for your interest in joining the Harvest Department of Portland Fruit Tree Project as our next Harvest Program Intern! Your internship will primarily support the Harvest Program Manager.
Between June and November of 2017, the Harvest Department of PFTP will coordinate 80+ fruit tree harvesting events in and around the city of Portland. We will also be piloting two new program elements to empower even more neighbors to share in the harvest and care of fruit trees. The Harvest Program Internship can be 3-months (spring) or 6-months (spring & summer), depending on your goals and availability. Intern responsibilities will depend on the length of your commitment. For the right candidate, we can be flexible on exact timing of start and end date.
Spring Harvest Internship: 15-25 hours a week, starting the week of April 10th, through end of June. You will help…
- Update and create program/training materials and procedures
- Recruit volunteers for our Harvest Leader and Fruit Monitor lead volunteer positions
- Prepare our registered tree owners for the season ahead
- Build/explore partnerships with other organizations and businesses.
- Solicit in-kind donations
Spring/Summer Harvest Internship: 12-20 hours a week, starting the week of April 10th, through end of September. You will help with above-listed spring tasks in addition to…
- Coordinate and lead harvesting events
- Support our wonderful team of lead volunteers
- Ride around town in a PFTP truck to visit and assess fruit trees in our tree registry
- Document the outcomes of our events through our database.
Required Skills: We are a volunteer-driven grassroots nonprofit. What we lack in budget, we make up for in creativity, flexibility and adaptability. That includes our interns as well!
Beyond these foundational qualities, we ask you to have…
- Familiarity and comfort with computers, including Gmail, MS Office Suite, Google Apps, etc.
- Strong verbal, organizational and writing skills
- An interest in creatively conveying information through words and images
- An independent and collaborative spirit
- Enthusiasm to learn and develop new skills
- Regular and reliable attendance
- Commitment to the mission/goals of Portland Fruit Tree Project
- For the 6-month internship only: 1) Active car insurance for those who apply for the 6-month internship, and 2) no more than 3 moving violations in the last 3 years
Desired (but not required) Skills…
- Knowledge/ability in photography, videography and/or graphic design
- Experience in the care and harvest of fruit trees
Location: You would be working out of PFTP’s headquarters in NE Portland, but will have responsibilities that take you out of the office, especially for the spring/summer harvest internship.
Compensation: This internship is unpaid, but the rewards are many: a great resume-building experience, references, and a unique opportunity to be a part of a pioneering organization.
How to Apply: Please submit the following as attachments in PDF or Word format, and email to Nicole at email@example.com:
- Cover letter: Tell us why this particular internship is important to you and why you wish to intern at PFTP specifically.
- Supplemental page: Please confirm which internship you are interested in (spring or spring/summer) and whether you have active car insurance.
- Resume: One or two pages please.
- Email subject title: Please write “Harvest Program Intern – [First Name] [Last Name]”
Deadline: Applications are due by Tuesday, March 28th, 2017 with interviews to promptly follow.